Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Horus Rising (The Horus Heresy #1)(Warhammer 40k)-Dan Abnett---My Review

Horus Rising (The Horus Heresy, #1)Horus Rising by Dan Abnett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Excellent book and introduction to the Warhammer 40K universe! This book seemed very dense and took me longer to read than some books almost twice this size (in this case this is not a bad thing because it was well worth it); perhaps I needed time to absorb all of the characters and races, the history, and new concepts of warfare in this distant future world. While I am primarily a fantasy book reader, this book is one of my all time favorites and should be classified as primarily science fiction. This book is so well executed in every area including plot, action, pacing, writing style, world and character building. While the main character is Loken (an excellent character)this book is full of larger than life characters every reader will want to follow up with after reading this most notably; Warmaster Horus; the Mournival, made up of Little Horus, Abaddon, Torgaddon, and Loken; Fulgrim and several other Primarchs, as well as the elite unites such as the Word Bearers, Blood Angels, Emperor's Children, and Luna Wolves. This book made me care about the characters and what happens to them and their world. Highly recommended for all fantasy and Science fiction readers, especially anyone who has not read Warhammer 40K books. This is the best introduction book I have read to any huge series to inspire a want to continue with a series.

View all my reviews

No comments: